Do you have a pair of pants that are a little too big or baggy? But your belt is the right size, you ask? We have a few tricks to help you tighten those pants without actually wearing a belt.
Simply take a rubber band and place it under the belt loops on each side. Place them in front where you would normally wear your belt, then take the excess fabric and pull it towards the back of your waist. Then just tie a knot or double-knot where it ends up on the inside to keep the rubber bands in place!
Most people will suggest using suspenders with your baggy pants if they’re too loose. In this post we’ll teach you how to tighten your own pants with simple, everyday items. If suspenders sound like too much work for you then you have to read this article.
How to Tighten Pants Without a Belt
Following are the different ways on how to tighten pants without a belt:
1. Rubber Band Method
Rubber band is one of the easiest ways to tighten pants without using belt. You can use an old or new rubber band. It will secure the loose fabric at your waist. The result will be very effective and you can easily get rid of baggy pants.
Usually, you will find rubber bands in kitchens. If not, then go to any grocery store and purchase one for about 50 cents to 1 dollar. Or you can use a hair rubber band.
- Take the pants and rubber bands in your hand.
- Now put it under the belt loops at the front of your waist.
- Pull both sides towards back side with rubber bands.
- Use your hand to hold it tightly in place and tie a knot there itself where the band is present between both pants. It will look like you are wearing suspenders but no one will notice it.
2. Suspender Method
If you are willing to get rid of the belt with your pants, then suspenders are the best option for you. They attach to your pants without using belt loops and give better support than belts.
It is always better to buy suspenders because you cannot make them at home. The length of suspenders depends on your height and waist size. You can purchase whichever length will fit you perfectly.
- Wear the suspenders over both shoulders with wrong side out.
- Pull out both ends downwards at the front.
- Hold them together by crossing over and pull upwards towards your waist line.
- Now hold both ends of suspenders in one hand and pull them down so that they fit tightly around your waist.
- You can make a double knot or use a rubber band to keep it secure in place.
3. Hair Tie Method
Hair ties are mostly used in hair, but in this case, they can be used to tighten pants without a belt. This method is very simple and one of the best hacks to tighten your pants with elastic no-buckle belts.
Never use rubber bands instead of hair ties because it will damage your belt. You can also use other elastic materials like thread, string, or rubber to tighten your pants if you don’t have hair ties.
- First, pull the belt ends in opposite direction towards back of pants.
- You can keep it tight with your hand or use an elastic band to hold it together in place.
- Make a knot over it and you are done!
The only disadvantage of these methods is that they are not suitable for pants that have loops on the sides.
4. Shirt Method
A shirt is also one of the easiest ways to tighten pants without a belt. It’s very easy but works only on casual occasions. Always wear a tucked-in shirt while tightening your pants, because it will look silly if you dress it up after fastening your pants.
- Wear a shirt and tighten your belt over it to make sure that the belt is not visible.
- Keep both ends of shirt out from your pant’s waist line by joining them with a safety pin to prevent further slipping.
- Use another safety pin to hold the shirt in place. Make sure to remove it after tightening pants because if you don’t then it will be visible over your belt.
5. Sock Method
Socks are another way on how to tighten pants without belts for those who have a casual wardrobe only. But again, this method is only effective if you wear a tucked-in shirt.
- Just wear a sock and then tighten your belt over it or between waist line if you have wide belt loops.
- Tuck in your shirt inside the pants to prevent further slipping of sock.
- Use a safety pin to hold the sock in place so that it doesn’t slip down while wearing your pant.
6. Hair Tie And Sock Method
You can use a hair tie and socks if you have both of them at the same time. This method is basically a combination of all the other four methods mentioned above to tighten pants without a belt. It’s very effective, but only if you have a shirt that slides smoothly into your waistline.
- Wear a shirt and then wear an elastic sock over it like mentioned in the first method above. Keep one end out with safety pin for slipping down problem.
- Now tighten your belt over this sock or between waist line inside the belt loops depending on how wide they are.
- Tuck in your shirt inside pant’s waist line again to prevent further slipping of sock. Use another safety pin to hold the sock in place.
7. Chef Method
The chef method is another effective way on how to tighten pants without belts for those who like to cook and dress casually at home. This is a unique way and very easy, but it’s only useful when you wear a shirt that slides smoothly into your waistline.
- Just put your leg up on the table or counter top such that your pants slide upwards and create an empty space just below waist line.
- Hold both ends of the pant together with one hand and then tie them tightly over your socks using safety pin just like in sock method above.
- Put your leg down and you are done!
8. Using Large Binder Clips
Large binder clips or French clip is one of the best ways to tighten pants without a belt because it’s cheap, easy to use, and the easiest method of all. This method will work perfectly if you wear casual clothes for which you don’t want to wear any belt at all. You can buy large binder clips from the stationery market very easily or make them yourself by joining several small ones together with a glue gun.
- First pinch both ends of pant’s waist line together tightly near front side of your hip bone (below stomach). Make sure that no skin is visible in between otherwise this method won’t work well.
- Now take a large binder clip and open its jaws as wide as you can. Place it between your pant’s waist line and the skin so that its head is inside the waist band of your pant on one side and no teeth are visible from other side. This way, pant won’t slip down from the grip of large binder clip even if you dance or move around freely in them.
- And now pinch both ends together tightly near front side like shown below:
- You can use another large binder clip to hold the first one in place more easily by placing it right below first clip like below:
- That’s it! You are done! Enjoy 🙂
9. Using Wallet Method
As the name means, you can use a wallet for tightening pants without a belt. This method is simple and works only when you are at home or at some casual party where you don’t want to wear your belt. You can also try this during traveling because it’s very easy to do so.
- Simply place your cell phone on front side of your stomach under shirt so that its edge is just below pant waist line and no skin is visible from outside laterally as shown below:
- Now take a thick wallet like shown below and make sure that pocket faces opposite direction to the way your cell phone faces (otherwise this trick won’t work properly): Make sure it has hard edges which you can easily feel with hand inside pocket.
- Now tighten your belt over the wallet if you are wearing one, otherwise just tuck your shirt inside pant waist line to prevent it from slipping down laterally over cell phone or wallet edges. Use another safety pin if necessary as shown below:
- And now place your cell phone on top of all other things like below for perfect grip because cell phones are slippery by nature due to their shiny metal back side and its heavy weight that prevents them from staying in one place even on table surface unless something keeps them fixed.
You can also fold a small piece of paper towel and stick it under the cell phone’s backside for better grip. Just don’t let any skin come near the beltline because this method won’t work properly then.
- That’s it! You are done. Now you can relax enjoying your favorite movie, song or TV show without worrying about pants slipping down over your waist line due to poor grip of belt over them.
10. Using Coins
As the name signifies, you can use coins for tightening pants without belt because coins aren’t slippery like cell phones and wallets are even though they have shiny metal back side similar to cell phones but with lesser weight which makes them stay in one place on table surface unless something heavy is kept on top of them.
This method is best suited when you wear shirts that slide into waist line easily thus creating some empty space there which this method takes advantage of by gripping some coins tightly in that empty space. You can also use a rubber band or a clip for this method if you don’t have coins with you.
- First pinch both ends of pant’s waist line together tightly near front side of your hip bone (below stomach). Make sure that no skin is visible in between otherwise this method won’t work well as shown below:
- And now place some coins on top of those fingers from inside as shown below:
- Now take the belt and pull it over those coins as shown below to grip them all tightly without allowing any coin escape by making strong curves as shown below:
- Add another one or two coins if necessary to make the grip stronger and tighter without allowing any coin escape by making strong curves as shown below:
- Use another safety pin if necessary for better grip and protection from slipping coins inside your pants.
- And that’s it! You are done!
How Do You Keep Your Pants Up Without A Belt?
I will share some tips that can help you to keep your pants up without a belt.
You have probably heard the phrase “If you want something done right, do it yourself.” In this case, I will just add some tips that helped me in keeping my pants up without a belt so that other people may also know about them and they help them too.
Use Bra Clips
You can buy bra clips from any store where girls’ accessories are sold at cheap prices. These come in different sizes which you can select according to your need. Just clip one of these on each side of your waist and pull your shirt tightly over it; your shirt will stay in place firmly without slipping down easily because bra clips grip cloth strongly due to their sharp edges and hard structure.
Use Safety Pins
You can also use safety pins to keep your pants up without a belt if you don’t like bra clips because both of them serve the same purpose and work equally well or maybe bra clips are slightly better than safety pins in gripping cloth strongly due to their sharp edges and hard structure.
But if you don’t want money for buying these bra clips then you can go with safety pins which are very cheap and easily available anywhere in stores that sell sewing material and other home tools at cheap prices.
Just keep one of these on each side of the waist just behind the front part of your shirt/blouse and pull it tightly over it; your shirt will stay in place firmly without slipping down easily.
Keeping your pants up without a belt has many benefits because you can wear any type of trousers or jeans comfortably without worrying about their slipping over the waistline and getting down. You can also dance, exercise, dance, walk and do other activities easily with no worry about losing grip on your pants over the waistline.
Because every now and then they slip from the waist and your shirt gets out exposing you in public which is really embarrassing or any other type of accident can occur due to this reason.
At last I just want to say that if you want something done right, do it yourself. So follow all these things which were mentioned in the article and keep your pants up without a belt easily.